Summer always beings out group trips. Well pre-COVID era, but travel will be back soon (hopefully!) I think it is the warm weather that brings people together. I am generally known as a solo traveler, but I have been on a good bit of group trips. Some that were amazing and others (inserts deep breath) I wished I respectfully declined the invitation. I have gotten the group trip dynamics down to a science. I have complied a list of 8 types of people that can make any group trip go downhill. But don’t worry I have also provided simple tips on how to survive your group trip if you get stuck with one.
1. “Always on the Phone with Their Bf/Gf “Friend- It' possible their phone are growing from their hand type of person. They are always reporting to their boo what you guys are doing, what happened 5 minutes ago and what’s the plans for the evening. They are constantly talking about how much they miss their significant other and how much they would enjoy this trip if they came.
My survive tip: learn to ignore them and focus on your fun. Schedule some separate activities so you can enjoy yourself third-wheel free.
,2. “Always Late “Friend- Payments Late. Arrive at Airport late. Shower late. I have not been on one group trip in my life without at least 2 late friends. Some people really struggle with time management and budgeting ,but surviving a trip with them is easy.
Survival Tip: Tell them the arrival time one-three hour ahead of schedule. That way when they are late technically, they are on time. Also, do not be afraid to meet them at the first attraction vs. riding together.
That way you can get your photos out the way and just enjoy the site.
3.“Complainer” Friend –* insert eye rolls and deep sighs of annoyance.* I hate traveling with someone who constantly complaining and whining. We go to a restaurant and they complain about the prices, selection and lack of dessert. They complain about the temperature outside, where you are staying, etc the list can go on.
Survival Tip: to survive this friend, give an expectation before departure. Something like, “Look girl, I know how you are but, on this trip, I want to enjoy myself leave all negative Nancy BS at home. We celebrating!”
4. “Over-Organizer” Friend- the friend that plans the entire and has everything schedule down to the minute. Dinner, attractions, dinner cruise and even naptime and shower breaks. They have created the perfect itinerary so the group can get the most out of their day. Okay this is me lol. Sadly, I am the over-organizer of the group but in all fairness, I do give the groups scheduled breaks. What's wrong with this friend?! They are control freaks so it can leave for an exhausting trip.
My advice to survive me, just tell them that you want to go do XYZ and will meet up for the next scheduled thing.
I am this friend
5. “Only Want to Party” Friend- These friends usually come in pairs. They will spend all day in the bed just to go out and party all night long. Their main goal for the trip is to go to the latest hot spot and dance the night away. They are uninterested in going to the art museum and learning how to make a cultured dish.
Survival Tip: let them stay in the hotel all day and meet them at the club that night.
6.“Social Media Star” Friend As a blogger, I live with my camera and iPad. I am constantly taking pictures and videos. However, I do know the time and place for photos and I try not incorporate my travel mates in my shenanigans I cannot stand the one person on vacation that is consisting posting Snapchat updates. They are literally shoving a camera in your face to show the world what they are doing the entire time.
Survival Tip: Calmly tell them to relax with the social media updates. "Girl lets enjoy this moment! Facebook Live don’t have to see everything!"
7. “Never Trying Anything New” Friend- The “Oh there is a McDonald’s lets stop for lunch." always ordering chicken tenders at any restaurant kinda friend. They want to try all the safe foods and attractions. They want no parts in trying the most exotic food on the menu or trying to speak the native language.
Survival Tip: How to survive this friend, let them be plain jane. If they want McDonald’s let them. You go, try the restaurant on the corner. Most people are scared to get out of their comfort zones. They are traveling with you, which means they are trying to put forth an effort so let them eat their McNuggets.
8. “Broke “Friend- Finally, the friend that is constantly penny pitching their pockets and YOURS. The "You Really spending $8 on slice of cake" friends we all have. This friend is usually the one that begged to come on this trip ,but cannot financially afford to have a good time. Now there is a difference in budgeting and being cheap. I budget for each activity and even pop-up activities. If I am having an expensive dinner, then lunch will be a take-away meal probably McDonald. That is balance.
Survival Tip: Find out their budget and try to have a balance of inexpensive/free activities and 1-2 expensive activities. That way this friend does not feel like they are ruining the trip, but they are live inside their means.
One vacation is not worth credit card debt.
Traveling with a group is always interesting ,but it can also be a great way to get closer to your friends. There is nothing wrong with the types of people on this list you just need to know how to survive a vacation with them .
Now what type of friend are you?
Tell me in the comments.